Saturday, March 5, 2016

Doc Wright

John Thomas "Doc" Wright


Born:
January 8, 1921
Middletown, IN

Died:
July 24, 2008
Wildwood, FL


Career
1943-44 Bunker Hill Naval Station (military)
1944-45 Paterson Crescents (ABL)
1945-46 Youngstown Bears (NBL)
1945-46 Midland Dow A.C.'s (Independent)
1946-47 Midland Dow A.C.'s (Independent)

This was a very good search, even if I do pat myself on the back. (Sure hope I am right.)

Knew the name. John Wright. Ultra-common. Knew his nickname, "Doc." Knew he played for the Bears, and allegedly went to George Washington. That's it. However, I found no evidence of him at GW. I  found an obscure article in the Vidette Messenger that gave me his hometown. From there, went to Family Search and found one John Wright of that age, in Middletown. Was able to get birth and death information. I am 99% sure we have our guy.


I'd like to see an obituary to be 100%, but I am confident enough to make it so.

Born to Charles and Jenny Wright in Middletown. Served in the U.S. Navy during World War 2. He was married to Margaret Jean Bolen (1916-2003) and they had a son, Jan.

Source:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVR1-SVBZ
Indianapolis Star, Feb 24, 1944: Military team photo
Vidette Messenger, November 6, 1946: Places him from ("prepped" at) Middletown, Indiana, and as a player for Dow.
Grave

Stats:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/nbl/players/w/wrighjo01n.html
http://www.justsportsstats.com/basketballstatsindex.php?player_id=wrighjo02

No comments:

Post a Comment